Sunday, July 28, 2013

"The Whole Health"

As I reflect on our first day of health and fitness methods, I find myself thinking about the Whole Body concept that my group based our concept mapping around. I have been curious about this "Whole Body Health," which includes everything from the body to the mind. There is a sense that health is all about how your body feels, which I think is inaccurate. There is also an even bigger sense that health is about how you look, not exactly about how you feel.

There is a lot of pressures around body image, and most of the time, there is a need for bodies to look fit and trim, but that may not always mean healthy. Health deals with the "whole," and "fitness" is just part of that whole.

My questions arise on how can we teach whole health to students, to encourage them to look beyond how many minutes they've spent on the treadmill, how much weight they can lift, or what the numbers on the scale are.

No comments:

Post a Comment