Friday, April 26, 2013

Challenge Accepted.

Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss, by: katerah

For several days now, I have been staring at the blank space that is my first blog post. There have been a series of starts and stops, struggling create that inaugural post into the grand blogger world. It wasn't because I have nothing to say, I think it is because I have so much to say.

What has really stood out to me since Wednesday was is this constantly changing concept of the Professional Educator. It has rolled around in my head, bumping into, rebounding off of, and sometimes flattening my previous vision of what a teacher looks like. It has been an eye-opening, insomnia-inducing, exhilarating experience. The most important part of this is that it is an experience I did not fully expect to be having. Perhaps all teachers-to-be go through this process where their previously assumed image of an educator -- particularly the educator we want to be -- is given more dimension, perspective, or might be challenged entirely.

What is exhilarating about the process is that I am actually welcoming it. While there is a small nugget of fear associated with previously established ideas being challenged and the change that is associated with accepting that challenge, there is also a strong desire to become a Professional Educator amongst other professional educators.

So. Challenge accepted.

1 comment:

  1. I fully empathize with challenge of being the educator we want to be and the one we find ourselves becoming.
    If nothing else, I realize how little I actually 'knew' about the teaching world (speaking in terms of purpose of practice and community).
    Kind of feelings like the next step of a relationship after falling in love.

    ReplyDelete